I found this recipe from the BBC site and thought I’d give it a go. As it happens my charges are huge kale fans and this pie did not disappoint! We had a very yummy dinner!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 300ml chicken stock
- 100g crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 100g kale
- 2 tsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
- 375g pack puff pastry, rolled into a circle slightly bigger than your dish
- 1 egg yolk, to glaze
- Heat oven to 200C/180 fan/gas 6.
- Heat half of the oil over a gentle heat in a casserole dish. Add the onion for 5 minutes until it softens. Add the thyme and garlic, and stir for 1 min. Turning up the heat, add the chicken, frying until golden but not fully cooked. Add the mushrooms and other half of the oil.
- Add the kale, stock, crème fraîche and mustard, then season as you wish. Add the cornflour mixture and stir until thickened a little.
- Remove pie filling from the heat and cover with the puff pastry to make a lid, pressing into the sides of the casserole dish. Slice a cross in the centre and glaze with the egg. Bake for 30 mins until the pastry is puffed up and golden.
Picture and recipe source: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chicken-kale-mushroom-pot-pie